Friday, December 14, 2007

DWYSYWD

DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU WILL DO (DWYSYWD)



Seven simple little words that can mean the difference between being dependable or not. This is an area that I feel pretty strongly about. The reason is because my child hood has been wrought with people making false promises or broken dates. What is so hard about making a commitment and sticking to it? Can there be anything more detrimental to a child's moral? This applies to adults as well. Have you ever made an appointment with friends or family and just not shown up? Maybe you were just late.

When I was 10 yrs old my Aunt came and picked me up with the intention of taking me to Six Flags in Georgia. We made a quick stop at a friends house where she told me we would only stay for a few hours. Afterwards we were suppose to continue on to her place, spend the night and then head out to Six Flags in the morning. Once we arrived at her friend's house she began drinking and playing cards with a group of people. I was shuffled off to a back bedroom where I stayed for the remainder of the night. We didn't go to Six Flags as you might have guessed. That is one memory that has always stayed with me.

People that aren't reliable just don't get much stock in my book.

1 comment:

Nick Williamson said...

Thats fucked up. Its one thing if the person you're with is of a similar age to you and agrees to change plans, but to change the plans so drastically for a child of any age, even a teenager, is detrimental to their mental and moral development. I'm sorry you have memories like that, but I hope you've learned from it. My outlook on life is to see what I dislike about people and try to attemp the opposite. Its a lot harder than you'd think. You end up hurting some people's feelings from being brutally honest, but most everybody will love you for it. Its not just honesty either, its all aspects of courtesy, manners, trust, respect, and just basic social responsibilities.